clear
Teraz:
 +5ºC
Partly Cloudy
Max:  +11ºC,  Min:  +3ºC
Polski
English
Deutsch
Pусский
Français
The Royal Łazienki Gardens are open daily, from dawn untill 7 p.m.
During this time, following objects are free to visit: Amphitheatre, Sybil Temple, Egyptian Temple, Waterwell Building and other pavilions and sculptures located in Royal Łazienki Gardens.

You may need to install or upgrade Flash Player.

Visit the Adobe website to get the Flash Player.

Myślewicki Palace
 

Myślewicki Palace

Construction year: 1777
Designer/builder: Dominik Merlini

          It is one of the most interesting constructions in the history of the Polish art of the second half of the 18th century . It was erected according to a design by Dominic Merlini, the court architect of Stanisław August. The building is of early Classicism character. Originally it was constructed on a square plan, then expanded with side pavilions (storeyed pinnacles) connected with the main building by quarter-circular catwalks.  At the front one can see a niche housing the sculptures of Zephyrus and Flora  (by Jakub Monaldi) and decorated with a locket with the initials of the King's nephew, Prince Józef Poniatowski, the owner of the Palace from around 1779. In the 18th century the Palace was inhabited by the king’s family. In the 19th century the building housed generals of the Russian Army regiments stationed nearby. During the inter-war period the Palace was inhabited by  high-ranking country officials (General Bolesław Wieniawa-Długoszowski and Deputy Prime Minister Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski). In the years 1946-1980 the rooms for the guests of the Council of Ministers were prepared (it is here where, among  others, the Indian Prime Minister, Indira Ghandi and the US Vice President, Richard Nixon stayed). In the years 1958-1972 the building was the place of Chinese-American negotiations. Since 1980 it has been  part of the palace and  garden complex of the Royal Łazienki Museum.

          The Palace was not destroyed during the Second World War. Its interior decorations were in the most part preserved. Among the artworks saved were:  the 18th century polychromy with panel motifs and elements of former armoury, made most probably by the Czech painter Antoni Herliczka (the Vestibule and the Staircase); vedutes of Italian cities: A View of the Castle and the Bridge of Saint Angelo in Rome, Casino of Pope Pius VI in  the Vatican, as well as two Views of the St. Mark's Square in Venice made  in the al secco technique (1778) by Jan Bogumił Plersch (Dining Room on the ground floor), as well as a plafond made by the artist entitled Zephir and Flora (Bathroom on the ground floor). Except the Wilanów residence it is the only such painting dating back to the end of the 18th century that has been preserved till the present day in Warsaw. And finally, eight fanciful views with the antique ruins and the picturesque background with staffage by A. Herliczka located in the Landscape View Room. The  exposition part on both storeys contains quite a number of valuable works of art (paintings, sculptures, furniture and artistic handicraft) mostly dating back to the end of the 18th  and the beginning of the 19th century. A French ladies' travel library dating back to the end of the 18th century and containing 210 miniature leather-covered volumes (the core of the collection is the series Bibliotheque Universselle des Dames that was published in Paris in the years 1785-1792) deserves  special attention. Equally unique is the 18th century five-octave piano, the so called  piano carré, produced by Adam Beyer in London's Soho in 1790. (The instrument revolutionised the piano market of that time). The Bedroom on the first floor is dedicated to the memory of Józef Poniatowski. On the same floor (in the Conference Room), there are the works of renowned northern artists of the 17th century, including  the works of Jan van Goyen, Port; Jan van der Meer, Boy Eating Peas from Pod and Boy Drinking Wine; Bonaventura Peeters, Stormy Sea, and also, a painting by the Italian caravaggist from the turn of the 16th and the 17th century, Antiveduto Grammatica, Maria Reprimanding her Sister Maria, and Portrait of Lord Pembroke by an artist imitating Anthon van Dyck.. The central place above the fireplace is occupied by the Portrait of Stanisław August in General's Uniform painted by Marcello Bacciarelli and the workshop. In the nearby Drawing Room, apart from the 18th century French and Italian school paintings, there is also a marble Bust of Faustina Minor, 18th century copy of the antique sculpture) from the former collection of the king. The large marble vase decorated with antique relief, a copy of the vase from the Vatican Collection, which during the life of Stanisław August decorated his Work Cabinet in the Palace on the Isle found its home in the Dining Room on the ground floor. 

 
« back
 

Używamy cookies i podobnych technologii m.in. w celu świadczenia usług i w celach statystycznych. Możesz określić warunki przechowywania lub dostępu do plików cookies w Twojej przeglądarce, w jej ustawieniach. Jeżeli wyrażasz zgodę na zapisywanie informacji zawartej w cookies, kliknij „Zamknij”. Jeżeli nie wyrażasz zgody – zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki. Więcej informacji znajdziesz w naszej Polityce cookies

Zamknij X